General Information – University of Rijeka – The faculty of medicine
The holder and the contractor of the study programme: Faculty of Medicine, University of Rijeka (public institution) on the basis of the license of the Ministry of Science, Education and Sport.
TYPE OF STUDY PROGRAMME: university
THE LEVEL OF THE STUDY PROGRAMME: integrated undergraduate and graduate study
FIELD OF STUDY: medicine and health care
TYPE OF STUDY: full-time study
THE ANTICIPATED DURATION OF THE STUDY: 6 years, 360 ECTS
LANGUAGE OF THE STUDIES PERFORMED: Croatian/ English
ACADEMIC / PROFESSIONAL TITLE AWARDED UPON COMPLETION OF STUDIES: Doctor / Doctor of Medicine, dr.med / MD
REQUIRED EDUCATIONAL LEVEL FOR ENROLMENT: Completed four-year high school, met prerequisite courses, passed the mandatory and optional tests and the state graduation exam (evaluation parameters to be determined for each academic year).
Medicine enables students to acquire the following knowledge and skills:
Adequate knowledge of the sciences on which medicine is based and a good understanding of scientific methods, including the principles of measuring biological functions, the evaluation of scientifically established facts and data analysis; sufficient understanding of the structure, functions and behavior of healthy and sick persons, as well as relations between the state of health and his physical and social environment; adequate knowledge of clinical disciplines and methods, which gives them a complete picture of the mental and physical diseases, of medicine from the point of view of prophylaxis, diagnosis and therapy and of human reproduction; suitable clinical experience in hospitals under appropriate supervision.
Access to further levels of study:
Upon completion of the Integrated undergraduate and graduate university study of Medicine students can continue their studies at postgraduate specialist study or postgraduate university (PhD) study. The possibility of employment in all health institutions.
Professional status: regulated by the Act on Regulated Professions and Recognition of Foreign Professional Qualifications (Official Gazette 124/09) and in compliance with the Directive 2005/36/EC of the European Parliament.
The admission procedure for all prospective applicants comprises:
1) Evaluation of the secondary school grades (overall average over the continuum of all 4 years of the secondary school education comprising all the grades and the final exam, together with the specific evaluation of grades in Biology, Chemistry and Physics)
All prospective candidates who have completed the secondary school program requirements in the Republic of Croatia, or attained equivalent qualifications abroad, in the duration of at least four years, and who have taken the courses in Biology, Chemistry and Physics for at least two years are eligible for admission into the first year.
2) Written exam in Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
I: The 7th of May 2021
II. The 9th of July 2021
III: The 17th of September 2021
Location: Rijeka, Faculty of Medicine premises and simultaneously abroad
* The entrance exam will be organized on-site at the University of Rijeka, Faculty of Medicine premises and simultaneously abroad or online according to the epidemiological situation at the time of the entrance exam
** Applicants can obtain a maximum of 150 points (120 points- entrance exam + 30 points- high school education).
3) Applicants who have completed a pre-medical college or passed internationally recognized exams (MCAT-with minimal score 125 for each section), or earned a BA/Bsc degree in natural sciences with good credits in Biology, Physics, Chemistry may be exempted from the entrance exam.
4) Applicants who have taken SAT Subject Tests in Biology, Physics and Chemistry, with the minimal score 600 in each subject, may also be exempted from the entrance exam.
5) Applicants who have taken the Biomedical Admissions Test (BMAT) (>4.0 in all tested categories) may also be exempted from the entrance exam.
6) Applicants who have taken the MediTest-EU (>70%) may also be exempted from the entrance exam.
7) Applicants who are neither native speakers of English, nor have graduated from an English- speaking secondary school or college are required to take an internationally recognized English language proficiency test (TOEFL – paper based test 500, internet based test 60, computer based test 170, IELTS – 6). Cambridge and Oxford English language exams and certificates issued by (foreign) language schools (B2 level) are also accepted, as well as certificates of English language proficiency issued by a secondary school a candidate attended.
8) Transfer students currently can not apply.
The maximum number of admitted students per Academic year 2021/2022 will be 50.
Selected students will be sent an Offer of place followed by the Letter of Acceptance and the Contract.
Enrolment takes place in Rijeka in July and in September before the winter semester begins. Please make all the necessary arrangements in time (visa, accommodation…). These reasons are not legitimate for postponing the beginning of study obligations. (Late enrolment fee might be applied)
Applicants who obtained their high school education abroad must have their high school diploma recognized in Croatia in order to be eligible to enrol.
Academic year starts with the winter semester – at the beginning of October. Students have two weeks winter break around Christmas and New Year while the summer break starts at the end of July.
Exam terms are at the end of each course and in July and September.
Tuition fee is € 10.000,00 per academic year. The tuition fee can be paid in full at enrolment or in two installments of € 5.000,00 (first at enrolment and second by August 31, 2021).
All applicants must present before enrolment into the 4thyear a certificate of Croatian language knowledge, at least B1 level. The course of Croatian langauge will be provided by the partners of the Faculty of Medicine Rijeka and it is included in the tuition fee.
Admission is possible into the winter semester only!
Curriculum of the programme