Be a First Responder – Help Others When They Need It Most
The Emergency Medical Technology-Paramedic associate’s degree program¹ will provide you with the training you need to be a patient’s first opportunity for critical care.
Prepare for the quick, life-saving decisions you will make on a daily basis through –
- Classroom discussions
- Practical lab and
- Field experience
American National University offers an intensive program that includes the courses you need to receive your associate’s degree. The result is a well-rounded learning experience that prepares you to sit for the EMT–B certification.
Our program exceeds the standards and curriculum established by the National EMS Education Standards (NEMSES) as well as the Virginia EMS Education Standards (VEMSES).
An EMT–Paramedic must possess the ability to remain calm and be able to function in an uncontrolled environment, exhibit leadership qualities, good physical condition, emotional stability, psychological adaptability, good moral character and manual dexterity.
Prepare for Industry Relevant Certifications
Graduates of the American National University Paramedic program will qualify to take the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians' examination, National Registry Paramedic (NRP). As a certified Paramedic, you will be prepared for entry-level employment working for police, fire, and rescue squads; private ambulance services; and hospitals.
EMS – Paramedic Curriculum
- Introduction to Paramedic Care
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Paramedic Pharmacology
- Patient Assessment
- Introduction to Cardiology
- Advanced Cardiology
- Airway & Respiratory
- Special Populations
- Paramedic: Rescue Operations
- Clinical Rotation
- Field Internship
- Field Summative Evaluation
- English Composition
- Oral Communication
By attending this program, you will also benefit from comprehensive clinical and field learning experiences that go far beyond traditional training to meet certification requirements.
American National University promotes a progressive learning format, so as you earn your associate’s degree you can immediately use your training to advance your career as you continue your education in high-demand fields at the bachelor’s degree level – areas such as Medical and Health Services Management.
The American National University Emergency Medical Technology-Paramedic Associate’s Degree program has been issued a Letter of Review by the Committee on Accreditation of Educational Programs for the Emergency Medical Services Professions (CoAEMSP). This letter is NOT a CAAHEP accreditation status; it is a status signifying that a program seeking initial accreditation has demonstrated sufficient compliance with the accreditation Standards through the Letter of Review Self Study Report (LSSR) and other documentation. Letter of Review is recognized by the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT) for eligibility to take the NREMT's Paramedic credentialing examination(s). However, it is NOT a guarantee of eventual accreditation.
Programme Pass Rates
- NREMT First Time Attempt Written Success Rate 100%
- NREMT Cumulative Attempts Written Success Rate 100%
- NREMT First Time Attempt Practical Success Rate 100%
- NREMT Cumulative Attempts Practical Success Rate 100%
- Academic Retention of Students 66.67%
- Positive Employment Placement of Graduates 100%
Why American National University?
- Convenience and flexibility – With day and evening classes¹ you have the flexibility to work as you earn your degree.
- Personal attention – You’re not just a face in a crowd, our small class sizes allow for personal attention from instructors.
- Career professionals as instructors – With current and relevant curricula, you will learn from instructors with real-world field experience who will guide and mentor you.
- Career services – Our career services team starts to help you before you graduate with your resume, cover letters, interviewing techniques and how to search for great career opportunities.
- Alumni benefits – Our support doesn’t end at graduation, as an alumnus you will have access to our career services and refresher² courses available throughout your career.
¹While widely available, not all courses are available at all class times or offered every term. Check with a University Student Services representative.
²Refresher training is tuition-free for qualified students. Additional costs such as lab fees, books, and supplies are the responsibilities of the student. Retraining is limited to the program from which the student graduated and is subject to space available.
About the School
In 1886, a group of visionary educators and business leaders saw the need for a higher education institution focused on career-based training to meet workforce needs in the southeastern United States. ... Read More