Diploma in Cognitive Behavioural Behaviour
Course: Diploma in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
Start date: Tuesday, 27 September 2016
Duration: 10 weeks, Tuesday evenings from 6.30 to 9.30pm
Course fee: €945 (or €995 if paying the course fee in installments)
A fee of £76 will be payable to The Institute of Commercial Management on successful completion of this course.
Multi-Course Discount: Students who register for two or more classroom-based courses with the School of Psychology can do so at a fee of €895 per course.
Awarding body: The Institute of Commercial Management (ICM)
CPD Credits: This event has been approved for 9 CPD credits for members of the Psychology Society of Ireland.
This course presents the student with a sound – and practice-focused – introduction to this modern and evidence-based treatment approach for a variety of psychological problems. CBT (as it’s often called) seeks to examine and challenge clients with the manner in which their thoughts, beliefs, and attitudes to various events and circumstances negatively affect their mood and behavior. Whilst open to the general public, we strongly encourage the course for those working in a variety of roles where contact with those suffering from psychological problems may be a feature, e.g. counselors, psychotherapists, medical doctors, nurses, social workers, psychologists, etc.
This course is open only to those from a relevant caring profession/human services background or those with substantial voluntary and community sector background. Please enquire if uncertain about your eligibility.
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) is an empirically based psychological treatment for a variety of psychological problems (for e.g. depression and anxiety). The Diploma in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy at City College aims to introduce students the theoretical underpinnings of CBT and to the skills required for an in-depth knowledge of the practice of this therapeutic approach. CBT seeks to examine and challenge clients with the manner in which their thoughts, beliefs, and attitudes to various events and circumstances negatively affect their mood and behavior. Whilst open to the general public, we strongly encourage the course for those working in a variety of roles where contact with those experiencing psychological problems may be a feature, e.g. psychotherapist, medical doctors, nurses, social workers, psychologists etc.
- Introduction and historical overview of Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT).
- Cognitive formulation of disorders in CBT: The role of core beliefs, assumptions, and negative automatic thoughts.
- Cognitive and behavioral interventions in CBT.
- Assessment and formulation in CBT – planning the treatment with clients.
- Establishing a relationship, structure, and assigning homework in CBT.
- CBT for depression and anxiety 1: Key cognitive and behavioral strategies.
- CBT for depression and anxiety 2: Key cognitive and behavioral strategies.
- CBT for depression and anxiety 3: Key cognitive and behavioral strategies.
- Skills focus (intensive skills practice): Applying theory to practice.
- CBT and complex disorders.
- Skills assessment: Evaluation of skills with subsequent feedback.
- Research in CBT – what empirical studies suggest.
- Consideration of CBT’s strengths, limitations, and reflections for the future.
A ‘Pass’ grade on both the written assignment (Project) will be required for awarding of the Diploma in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. A ‘Fail’ grade will result in a Certificate of Attendance for the course but without the Diploma being awarded. Students must attend at least 8 of the 10-course evenings to graduate with either the Diploma or Certificate of Attendance unless a serious and verifiable reason for further absence is provided. Likewise, the Project must be handed in on the due date unless a sound reason for lateness is provided. In such instances, an extension may be awarded at the discretion of the lecturer.
About the School
At the College of e-Learning, we offer the same City Colleges courses but in an online format. Students enjoy the benefits of world class online resources, the best and most up-to-date study materials ... Read More