- Study location: Latvia, Riga
- Type: Undergraduate, full-time, part-time
- Nominal duration: 3 years (180 ECTS) full-time, 4 years (180 ECTS) part-time
- Study language: English
- Awards: Bachelor (Bachelor of Natural Sciences in Optometry)
- Accreditation: Study programme is accredited
This programme is based on studies of natural sciences, medicine and basic principles of primary eye care service. Bachelor programme is the first step in professional optometrist education scheme in Latvia. The program offers extensive profile studies of natural sciences including organic chemistry, biology, calculus, physics, medical courses including human anatomy and physiology, pathology, microbiology, biochemistry, anatomy and physiology of the eye, physiology of vision, specific courses in optometry – optics, geometrical optics, ophthalmic optics, optometric instruments, refractive defects, binocular vision and other.
The topic of the Bachelor’s thesis should be carefully chosen; supervisor’s assistance for further research. Students will be able to continue education in Professional Master in Clinical Optometry degree programme.
The part-time programme covers 4 academic years, full-time programme covers 3 academic years.
High school / secondary education (or higher)
Applicants applying for undergraduate degree studies are required to have completed their secondary/high school education.
The entry qualification documents are accepted in the following languages: English / Latvian.
Often you can get a suitable transcript from your school. If this is not the case, you will need official translations along with verified copies of the original.
Applicants must upload education documents in original language, as well as translations into English.
Diplomas and transcripts issued outside EU must be legalized with a legalization stamp or Apostille.
You must take the original entry qualification documents along with you when you finally go to the university.
Applicants must prove their English language knowledge. University accepts the following international language tests:
- TOEFL IBT – at least score 72;
- IELTS – at least score 5.5;
- PTE General – at least level B2;
- FCE – at least level B;
- CPE – satisfactory pass;
- CAE – satisfactory pass.
University can provide English language test for additional payment (97.50 EUR)
Applicants whose native language is English or previous education is obtained in English are exempt from this requirement (except citizens of India, Sri Lanka, Nepal).
- Satisfactory grades in Mathematics or Physics (at least 4 in a 10 point grading system)
- For citizens of India, Sri Lanka and Nepal – Skype interview which includes questions about profiling subjects and motivation
This programme prepares competitive graduates for Latvian and European labour markets.